Ride-On Ranch is dedicated to educating people about Hippotherapy so that we can spread awareness and reach more people through the use of the horse. We are proud to offer American Hippotherapy Association (AHA) approved courses here at the Ranch. Please register below for a course or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
2018 Course Dates
2017 Course Dates
AHA Business Connection Course: April 29 – April 30, 2017 – Closed
Level II Hippotheapy Treatment Principles: November 9 – 12, 2017 – Closed
Information provided by the American Hippotherapy Association Website: www.americanhippotherapyassociation.org
AHA Business Connection Course: April 29 – 30
This 2 day course will provide therapists the basics of how to start a private therapy practice incorporating hippotherapy as a treatment strategy. It will include information for administrators in the horse industry, including those currently offer equine assisted activities, how to develop/add a therapy practice or partnership with one into their current business model. Topics will include: business plan development, budget and contracts, location and clinic requirements, staffing and support personnel, CPT code and billing information, for profit and non-profit marketing strategies and more.
- To understand the process of developing a private practice incorporating hippotherapy.
- To determine the best type of business structure for your practice.
- To understand the process of developing a budget, business plan and break-even analysis.
- Discuss how to develop contracts with a variety of programs.
- Discuss the development of a wellness program for your practice.
- To understand billing reimbursement, CPT coding fees and set-up cash flow.
- Discuss opportunities on how to develop the growth and expansion of your practice.
- Review of best practices by OT, PT and ST utilizing hippotherapy.
- To understand and implement basic marketing techniques to grow your program.
- To discuss the relevance and importance of an exit plan.
Level I completion certificate must be presented to the host facility at registration.
This curriculum is designed to provide and facilitate a problem solving treatment approach, using actual patients currently involved in Hippotherapy as part of their physical, occupational or speech therapy treatment. Practical applications to NDT, SI and Motor Learning Theory and Clinical Reasoning will be applied to the HPOT treatment strategy as well as an introduction to the Hippotherapy Conceptual Framework Theory. Therapists will be treating actual patients within a Hippotherapy Team, including videotaping and group discussions to further advance the learning experience. This course may be attended by licensed Speech, Physical and Occupational therapists and assistants (PTA, COTA, and SLPA’s).
This curriculum includes:
- Identifying and interpreting the body language of the horse
- Recognizing desirable conformation, soundness, and movement qualities, gaits of the horse and signs of burnout.
- Identify lameness and illness in the HPOT horse and explain appropriate prevention through veterinary, farrier and nutritional and training protocols.
- Identify and convey to the horse handler the necessary skills required to produce quality movement when leading, lunging or long lining the hippotherapy horse.
- Understand the principles of good nutrition, veterinary and wound protocols for the horse.
- Understand the importance of and be able to identify handling and riding skills that are necessary to maintain and or improve the HPOT horse.
- Create and understand the importance of having a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly schedule for the HPOT horse.
- Understand the need to educate and train staff and or volunteers who will be working with the hippotherapy horse, either in hippotherapy sessions or involved with the daily care and training routines, the handling techniques and training protocols to maintain a safe, effective and successful HPOT program.